Project: Starburst Mirror

I have been dreaming about this project for awhile (did you notice on my right sidebar?). Well, I finally pulled it together. The motivation was the blank spot which was left by removing the Christmas wreath above the fireplace. Since I decided that leaving my Christmas decorations up for an entire year was an awesome idea not an option, there was only one thing to do - make a starburst mirror.

I followed the instructions on this webpage and gathered all of the materials from Wal-Mart and Michael's. Even though on the instructions the author claims she spent under $25, I think I spent under $10. Score!


First I cut out a cardboard circle in the shape of the convex mirror I was using for the center.  Then I sectioned off where I was going to put the skewers so I knew how many to paint.


Next I painted some 12" and 10" skewers with silver leafing paint (which I thought would give it a little more dimenstion that spray paint.

I then hotglued the skewers onto the cardboard circle, alternating 12" and 10" skewers.


Hotglue on little 1" mirrors onto the skewers in whatever pattern you want.

Voila!  Isn't it beautiful?  All of the other starburst mirrors I have seen (and even in the instrcutions) had two sizes of mirrors that they hotglued onto the skewers, but I could only find the 1" at my craft store.  If I ever come across a smaller size I will probably add to my mirrow.  Until then, I am going to sit back and enjoy it!

4 comments:

Camille said...

I LOVE IT!!!

RookieMom Whitney said...

It looks fantastic!

Ashley said...

Love it! You are so crafty!

mub said...

This is so cute! Thanks for showing how you made it =)