Kennecott Mine Field Trip

Through the end of May the Kennecott Mine in Utah was free admission, but of course I waited until the very last minute to take the girls.

After the Girls Night Out event I hooked up with some other homeschooling moms for breakfast the next morning and discovered that one of them was planning an outing the following Monday – if she had someone to go with.  I had been planning on taking the girls but hadn’t gotten around to it yet, so it was just the kick in the pants I needed to get out the door.

We planned to meet at a park in a little town called Copperton prior to the mine trip.  Although Copperton was close to my house I never knew it existed.  I am so glad I discovered it!  It is the cutest little town, built by the Utah Mining Company back in the 1920’s for its workers.  The whole place has an out-of-time feel, with 20’s cottages and huge trees.  It was so quaint and historical.  I fell in love immediately.

251
Although the park had newer elements, the core of the playground was old school, with metal slides, jumbo tires and a huge metal swing.  The girls had a great time and I got a lot of time to visit with my new friend.

Next we headed to the mines.  The girls loved that we got to go with our new friends and we even met up with some more at the mines (who the girls also knew from church.)

254252253

The girls pretty much thought of it as a big hole in the ground (yep, that’s about it!) and were relatively unimpressed after a short amount of time.  We did take time to go into the Visitors’ Center, where I tried to read a few of the displays to the girls to explain the importance of the mine, with my other homeschool mom friend chiming in to her kids “Listen to Mrs. Kay!”  Wow, now that was a funny thing – to realize I am really doing this homeschool thing and to have flashbacks to my childhood and own homeschool days.  Ha ha ha!

Afterwards we headed to In n Out Burger for lunch, taking advantage of some free burger coupons the girls got at the library for reading their books.  They love In n Out Burger, more for the free sticker sheets and chef hats than anything else.  All in all, it was a lovely, educational way to spend the day!

256258260262

No comments: