Cucumber Tasting

Last Saturday it was a gorgeous day and so we decided to head outside and check out a farmers market.  In all honesty, it was a disappointment but I did come away with a few things.  And a fun idea.  We picked up four different types of cucumbers and decided to cut them all up at the same time and do a taste test.

From left: Japanese cucumber, Armenian cucumber, traditional cucumber, lemon cucumber

First up, the Armenian cucumber.


It was really firm with almost a radish-like texture, not overly sweet but rather bland with a hint of sweetness at the end.  It had a lot of crunch.  I decided I didn't really want to munch on it, but it would be really yummy when chopped and tossed in a salad or something.

Next up, the Japanese cucumber.  It was much less firm with many more seeds, but it was also sweeter in a watery way.

I didn't get a chance to take any photos of the lemon cucumber.  We inhaled it too fast.  But it was sweet and yummy with (I thought) an almost floral afternote.  I think it would be a lot of fun to plant it in the garden.

My little taste testers at work

1 comment:

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Invite me over next time! I love cucumbers! What a great idea. I'm going to try it when I go to the farmers market. (which I still haven't got around to doing yet)