{Recipe} Applesauce Granola

Have you checked the price of granola at the grocery store lately?  Ridiculous!  

Most recipes use either an oil or a sugar as the binder.  When I was growing up, my mom made her own granola using honey as the binder.  However, this recipe uses applesauce, a much healthier alternative.

Since I have been canning my own applesauce (with no added sugar or flavorings) for a few years now, this is not only a healthy recipe but a very cost-effective one for my family.  I use quick oats (because that’s what I always have on hand) and whatever combination of nuts and seeds I have on hand (which usually coordinates with what went on sale at the grocery store).  Usually 4x the recipe will last me a month or so.

I hope you enjoy this granola as much as I do!
 

Applesauce Granola
Source: Fake Ginger

  • 2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
  • 1 cup nuts (pecans, walnuts, almonds)
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/4 cup sesame seeds
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1/3 cup raisins
  1. Preheat oven to 300F.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together oats, nuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
  3. In a small saucepan, warm the applesauce with the honey and oil over low heat.
  4. Mix the applesauce mixture into the oat mixture and stir to coat everything. Spread the mixture onto a 9 x 13 baking pan.
  5. Bake for 45- 50 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until the granola is a deep brown. Remove from oven and stir in raisins. Cool completely before enjoying.

No comments: