Emma Update: 9 Months

My little baby is now scooting all around (though not technically crawling), sitting up with no problems, beginning to pull herself up things, show her temper, eat more and more finger foods, and move on to proteins at mealtimes.  Wow, time flies!

007edited005
At her 9-month check-up yesterday she weighed in at 17 pounds 14 ounces (40th percentile), was 28 inches tall (75th percentile) and has a big head (17 inches – 95th percentile!).  She had a lovely time with the doctor, happy as a clam, giggling and doing her little princess wave.

Speaking of princess wave, she has started to wave hi, bye, and goodnight with a cutest cupped hand, like a princess on a pageant float.  She will do it on command or in response to you saying one of those phrases to her.

019033
Riding the Pumba ride at Wal-Mart

037
Playing with the baby in the mirror


She is still the most good-natured baby (everyone comments on it) and a mommy’s girl to boot.  I’ve never had one of those before!  She is always trying to get to me, lunging from other people’s arms.  Though she doesn’t cry when being held by others or when left at church nursery, but she has a definite preference for me (which melts my heart quite a lot).  I’ve tried to send Elliott in to her at night a few times when she woke up crying, but she insists on keeping a close eye on the crack of the door for the slightest hint I will walk by (and she usually catches me too).

She is now weaned from nursing, something that happened rather rapidly but not surprisingly.  She loves to hold the bottle herself and we are working with her on the sign for “milk” (that was Lily’s first sign back in the day).  I have enough formula stockpiled to last us the last three months I think.

I have cooking up a storm for some more baby food: salmon with broccoli and parmesan; chicken with pumpkin, zucchini, and apple; broccoli with potato and cheese; spinach and blueberries; apples with peaches and strawberries; plums with apples and blueberries; cheesy tomato cauliflower; and pork with carrots, parsnips and celery.  She also loves to feed herself (as I mentioned) and is developing the nasty tendency to spit out the baby food purees I try to feed her after I give her some finger foods, in preference for feeding herself.

She still adores her sisters and they her.  She giggles uncontrollable when you fly her Superman style at them.  And taking baths with Piper is one of her favorite activities.

She is a great napper and super easy to put to bed (lay her down – DONE).  But we are still working on breaking her habit of waking up at least once per night.  I think not being able to nurse her (her preferred method of soothing during the night) will be enough to force one of us to give (though I am not yet sure who will win).

No comments: