Piper's Cast Comes Off

Tuesday Piper got her cast off. It had been 6 weeks, which was erring on the safe side since the doctor didn't think it would really take that long. After the first couple of days with her cast she treated it as if nothing was out of the ordinary.  As you can see, she loved to jump in it:


Aren't their musical stylings darling?
She had adapted remarkably well but was excited to get her "sock" off.  (In order to wear shoes, one shoe is her size and the other one is Ava's.)

She was a little scared of the cast saw at first, but "helped" the doctor by holding the plastic ruler down her cast (I think to shield the leg a little more from the saw).






Ta-da!  The cast was amazingly clean with only a few pieces of grass lodged down in there.  Some of her skin was pretty dried out and she had developed a good-sized callous right above her big toe, probably from her newly acquired habit of walking on her toes like a ballerina.  (I hope this habit will go away soon as she does it on both feet.)


After getting her cast off all she wanted to do was show daddy and have a lemonade.  So we went to Elliott's work, where he met us in the cafeteria for a little lemonade-and-french fry treat.  She walked a little tenuously (as expected) but is steadily putting more weight on it each day.  She still walks on her toes but I think this is from habit rather than pain.  She is back to jumping on the bed, wrestling with Ava, and running laps with Lily - all within 24 hours.  She is going to give me a heart attack.  So I would say things are back to normal, whatever that is.

2 comments:

Tracy Lindley said...

I LOVE that gorgeous video!!! I MISS MY NEICES!!! See you 5 lovely ladies so soon it hurts and I hope the girls will let me snuggle them :)
Lots of love,
Aunt Tracy

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

I think Levi and I watched your video about 25 times in a row. He loved watching the girls singing. They look so cute. I'm glad Piper's leg is all better.