Favorite Recipes

Here's a couple of yummy recipes I would like to share with you. I just tried the homemade fish sticks for the first time this week and they were so good! They tasted better than frozen and I felt like they were also healthier, because I am sure the girls were actually eating more fish per stick than the frozen kind. We even ate them last night as leftovers and they were still yummy heated up.

Also, here are the salsa recipes I use, courtesy of Momma Kay. When I am fortunate to have a bunch of tomatoes fall into my lap (usually courtesy of, naturally, Momma Kay's garden) I make the fresh salsa recipe. Then, when we have eaten all we can eat I will can the rest, adapting her canned salsa recipe. Basically, in order to hot water bath can the fresh salsa recipe you need to up the acid, so I do this by adding extra lime juice; I also then tweak the spices too. But you can experiment to get the taste you like.

HOMEMADE FISH STICKS
3/4 c. flour
1 t. dr. mustard
salt and pepper to taste
1 c. buttermilk
1 egg
1 lb. tilapia or halibut, cut into strips (not too thick so they cook more evenly)
3 c. panko bread crumbs (I don't measure, just add more when needed)
Oil for frying

In a large bowl, mix flour, mustard, salt and pepper; add buttermilk and egg. Coat fish in egg mixture then bread in crumbs. In a pan, heat oil on medium heat. Saute' fish in batches, about 5 minutes, turning halfway.

FRESH SALSA
6-8 c. medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 large onion, minced (about 1 c.)
2 Jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
2 Anaheim peppers, seeded and minced
1/4 t. garlic powder
2 T. brown sugar
2 T. vinegar
2 t. salt
1-2 small cans tomato sauce
Fresh cilantro, finely chopped (to taste, about 1/4-1/2 bunch)

Mix and serve with chips.

CANNED SALSA
Start with a batch of fresh salsa (recipe above). Then add:
3/4 t. dr. oregano
3/4 t. cumin
1/8 c. lime juice
1 can tomato paste
1 T. salt

Bottle in pint or quart jars. Process in hot water bath for 30 minutes.

If you have a favorite salsa recipe - or any recipe for that matter - I would love to swap! Email me your recipe at sarahkay (at) cox (dot) net.

No comments: