Kool-Aid Play Dough

Elliott has been out of town this weekend to visit his friend Dave in Dallas.  They went to the TCU/BYU football game at Cowboy Stadium, but he also managed to be in town during the Rangers' World Series attempt.  So, major sporting weekend for those two.

On the home front, the girls and I have been getting all sorts of things done (as you can tell from my recent posts).  We have also battled sickness, steam cleaned the carpets and couch, and avoided leaving the house too often.  It seems like the days and nights have been extra long with Elliott's absence but I am sure it has do to one main fact: the days all seem the same.  I get up, take care of kids all day, put them to bed, go to sleep, then wake up and do it all over again.  So today I attempted to break up the routine and tried my hand at Kool-Aid Play Dough.

I had this recipe in my "to-do" pile for awhile along with several other variations of Play Dough, but since I discovered some random packets of Kool-Aid running around in the pantry (and no intention of actually feeding sugar water to the kids) this one got bumped to the top of the heap. 

Our verdict: Easy, colorful, and fun!

I think the whole things takes 5 minutes to make, so I have no excuses anymore.  And the girls know it.  It smells yummy when you mix it together, but the smell wears off after a little bit and after I told the girls not to eat it because it didn't taste good, I had no trouble with anyone eating it (even Piper).  I even had an excuse to bust out the container of cookie cutters I got at a garage sale.  We had lots of fun!











Kool-Aid Play DoughFrom Infarrantly Creative

1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup salt
2 packages unsweetened Kool-Aid mix (I just used one packet)
1 cup boiling water
1 1/2 tablespoons oil

1. Mix flour, salt and Kool-Aid well in a large bowl.
2. Add boiling water and oil and then mix with a wooden spoon until it sticks together.
3. When cooled and you can handle the dough mix the rest by hand blending all the color in so it is a nice even color.

Note: This recipe does not stain your hands like Kool-Aid normally stains your lips.  And is usually lasts up to 3 months when stored in an airtight container.

No comments: