Gardening

We’ve had good success this year with our newfound joy of gardening here in Utah.  We planted both cool weather plants (spinach, lettuce, and peas) mid-February and our warm weather plants (tomatoes, green beans, peppers, cucumbers, broccoli, onions, carrots, squash, zucchini, tomatillos and watermelon) after the Mothers’ Day.

The owners apparently put in the raised beds with wonderful soil right before they left, so we have been enjoying the fruits of their labor.  We did clear out a few spots of our own as well, with their blessing, and have been trying to take advantage of all the space we have.

Elliott has found a new hobby in weeding (honestly he loves it, I can’t get him to buy a hoe or mulch) and tours his garden every night to check it’s progress.  Ava asked me one night if we could set up the new wading pool next to the garden “so Daddy will see it when he comes home”.  My portion of the work will come a bit later, during harvest season.  So I gladly let him try to keep up with the weeds and don’t feel too bad about it. 

The one area I kept vigilant on was the aphid infestation of our tomatoes and beans.  Elliott wants to try gardening organically, so I found a recipe for homemade aphid spray (involving hot peppers, garlic and soap) which seems to do the trick.  I also am mildly obsessed with keeping the tomatoes tied up nicely to their stakes.  The cherry tomato varieties I planted though (Sun Sugar and Red Grape) delight in outgrowing every single attempt I make to tie them up.  At this point I have given up hope and decided to let them duke it out.  But it galls me so.   

Four rows of green beans, three cherry tomatoes, six regular tomatoes, tomatillos and cucumbers
Butternut squash along the fence.  They have taken over!
Side view of tomatoes and cucumbers at the back of the garden
Rhubarb, raspberries, blackberries

Strawberries

Carrots, broccoli, onions


Zucchini, summer squash

001
The girls were actually very helpful in shelling peas earlier in the spring.  They loved to eat the peas as fast as they shelled them too.  Today they are just as helpful in snapping green beans.
158
159
A few of our pretties thus far!

No comments: